Juniors can compete for Olympic quotas in Osijek
The ESC Presidium has taken the decision to exceptionally allow Juniors at the 2021 European Championships in Osijek, Croatia, to compete in 10m Air Rifle/Air Pistol events as «Seniors» and in 25/50/300m events as «Juniors» or vice versa.
By this decision, the ESC Presidium took into account the special and unprecedented circumstances of our current reality. Consequently, Article 5.5.2 ESC General Regulations (ESC GR) shall be exceptionally applied with modification to the European Championship to be held in Osijek for the following reasons:
- According to Article 7.2.3 ESC Statutes the ESC Presidium’s function is to ensure the proper Organization of ESC Championships.
- According to Article 4.4 ESC GR, separate 10m European Championship should actually take place between February 15th and March 15th (as it was initially planned in Finland).
- The Organizers of the 2021 European Championship 10m Air Rifle/Air Pistol, Finland, withdrew from staging the event for force majeure reasons (Covid-19).
- The readiness of the Croatian Shooting Federation to take over the 10m Championship was the only possibility to save the event and to provide athletes with the possibility to compete at high-level in such 10m events prior to Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.
- The ESC Presidium decided pursuant to Article 3.4 ESC GR to hold the 2021 European Championship 10m Air Rifle/Air Pistol in May 2021 in Osijek, Croatia, together with the 2021 European Championship 25/50/300m, as one Championship.
- At the initially staged 10m Air Rifle/Air Pistol event in Finland, Juniors could have participated in “Junior category” and later on in Osijek in the “Senior category” (and vice versa) in the 25/50/300m event without any restrictions by Article 5.5.2 ESC GR.
The schedule of the 2021 European Championship in Osijek will be approved and placed on the ESC website shortly.
Leave a comment
You must log in to post a comment.Log in